Our friends Sonny and Phyllis on Corkscrew left their boat here and flew home for awhile. Perfect place to leave their boat as after 2 or 3 days the rate goes down to 25 cents a foot- totally unheard of (unless it is a free wall!) We would have loved to catch up with them but Dave was able to take the time to drool over their boat- his choice if we ever get another one!
There were three other Looper Boats at the marina. Friar Tuck and Cocomo surprised us and came in later in the afternoon. Chapter Three our friends from PEI (Canada) were several rows over. John came over in the evening to chat and catch up on our travels. It is always great to catch up with Loopers who we had cruised with previously to compare notes. We enjoyed a nice glass of wine, watched all the turtles around the boat and just soak in the calm and quiet of this beautiful marina.
In the morning, with some help from the dock hands (push on the mid-section of the boat), Dave expertly got us away from the sailboat which was very close on our stern. We continued traveling on the beautiful Waccamaw River which we would travel over on our way to the Waccamaw Outlets. This was a favorite shopping stop for my mom and I every year. We saw the railroad bridge that was always in the up position and we looked over the left and saw what remains of the outlets. My understanding is that they are now closed.
We arrived at Barefoot Landing- another fond memory- but the dock wasn't like I remembered. Dave assured me that this is how it was 17 years ago when we last visited. After tying up we went exploring and had lunch. Sadly, many of the shops that we remembered near the waterway had closed but then the old familiar ones were still in business (Mole Hole), etc. It was bike week and their big tents and vendors were right off the parking lot at Barefoot Landing. We decided to walk over and check out the bikes and exhibits. We both looked totally out of place but never uncomfortable (okay maybe just a little). Dave was trying to find the "biker babes"....
That afternoon, our friends from Calvert County- Jeff and Karen Lofton came to the boat and then took us to the grocery store for provisions. We enjoyed a nice afternoon together and then went to TBonz for dinner. It was such a great day catching up with friends and news from home. The next day was raining off and on but I still ventured out to do some window shopping and pick up a few things. That evening we went to the Alabama Theater for their One Show,. It is a variety show that featured many genres of music and dancing. We absolutely loved it- their comedian who was the bridge between the acts was the absolute best and I understood the jokes (and for those who know me well you know that is an accomplishment!) Dave and I were about the youngest in the theater but we were so glad that we went!
That night, I was a wee bit excited to sleep as I knew the next day we would cruise past our beloved Sunset Beach and stay in Saint James Plantation for three nights!
![]() |
| Enjoying our visit with Jeff and Karen Lofton at TBonz |
One of Dave's favorite boat designs- an Ocean Alexander 456. Corkscrew belongs to Sonny an That Ocean Alexander 456 sure is a beaut.
Just another papermill along the route. This one was at Georgetown.
School Bus Boat
The boat took kids across the river.
Lots of Osprey nest in old Cypres trees along the Cypress swamp.
Turtles on an old Cypress tree on the way up the Waccamaw River.
The turtles at Osprey have obviously been fed by boaters. When they see you come out on you deck they swim towards the boats with their head us staring at you. I tried given them salad which I thought would match their regular diet- but they liked the crushed cereal better!
This guy came the closest and then moved on when he realized I didn't have any goodies.
I took walked out to a field of goats the morning before we left. As I stood next to the fence several of the goats just stared at me and didn't move. I reached into my pocket for something and suddenly the whole herd started moving my way. I think they thought I was pulling food out of my pocket.





No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.